Candidate bio description
My name is Saidaltaf Patel and I am first generation immigrant. I came to Canada with my young children in 2002. As a new immigrant, I worked several jobs prior to completing the qualifying process and being called to the Bar. This was a difficult process but I never gave up and the hard work paid off. Prior to immigrating, I practiced law in India for several years. I have been an advocate for human rights and a big part of my practice involved Immigration law representing individuals who desperately required legal representation
What inspired you to run for bencher this year?
To give back something to profession.
What do you believe is the biggest issue facing the legal profession?
New lawyers are not trained and they do not have practical experience. Shortage of good mentor ship is the biggest issue.
What would be your first priority upon election?
Promoting diversity and raising awareness.
What do you hope to achieve over the next four years as a member of Convocation?
1. Promoting diversity and raising awareness.
2. Promoting awareness regarding Mental Health issues and creating programs to better equip lawyers dealing with stress and depression.
3. Promoting and creating programs to mentor new calls by developing a mentorship plan pairing lawyers so that we can be of value and help each other.
4. Working on equity initiatives to increase inclusion, focusing on women and minority lawyers.
5. Better screening of complaints to exclude frivolous and vexatious complaints
What's the most pressing concern for the profession in your region of the province?
Inclusion of fellow profession from diverse community.
Do you support the requirement to create and abide by a statement of principles?